Hypnotherapy can be an empowering tool to combat Stress & Anxiety

What is anxiety?

Anxiety, or feeling highly apprehensive or worried, is a normal reaction to stressful situations. In some cases, however, worry becomes excessive or chronic and can cause sufferers to dread facing everyday situations and not be able to function as they normally would.

Mental Health concerns, based on figures from an NHS survey show this to be on the rise consistently since the 1990s. Research carried out by The Money and Mental Health Policy Institute found that 2.3 million people in the UK were experiencing mental health problems that affected the amount of paid work they could do

Hypnotherapy has been around for a long time, with roots tracing back to ancient cultures in Asia including Buddhism and Hinduism. It can offer a powerful solution to anxiety.

As a clinical hypnotherapist having treated a wide range of cases of clients coming through my door, stress can manifest itself in so many different ways, sometimes gradually or even suddenly.
Many people at some point in their life will experience (a) situation(s) which causes them to feel stress; be it separating from a partner, money (especially debt) worries, becoming a new parent, facing redundancy, cultural/family pressures, personal or friend/family member’s illness or injury or unhappiness at work. It can be one or several of these things which gives rise to stress and/or anxiety to manifest itself.

Often individuals feel that they cannot speak to anyone at work about these things for fear of losing their jobs due to existing taboos around mental health. Sometimes the same is true for families – someone may find they cannot discuss such a personal issue with friends or family for fear of being judged and can often end up bottling up their concern.

How can hypnotherapy help with stress and anxiety?

Our ability to deal with stress, depends on our early years and how we learned to deal with such situations. The secret lies in how we were “taught” by our parents to deal with potentially stressful events.

A calm parent is likely to react in a totally different way to that of a nervous parent if their child falls off their bike and grazes their knee. Regression Hypnotherapy allows access to these early memories, and helps to uncover the root causes of the anxiety. This can then help the individual to digest and process the issue, helping them to feel empowered again and regain a sense of strength and confidence.

A clinical hypnotherapist is trained professionally in such issues and provides a confidential outlet for someone who seeks support. By relaxing the patient through regression hypnotherapy techniques, the subconscious mind can be accessed where the roots of one’s anxiety tend to lie.
An additional technique in the hypnotherapist’s tool box is to teach the client self hypnosis. This is an empowering technique which reduces the effects of stress on the body by deeply relaxing the individual, helping to lower the heart rate & blood pressure and relax muscles and reduce tension.

The subconscious mind represents 90% of the brains capacity. This is where memories are locked away behind closed doors, under the surface, if you like, behind closed doors and represents the bulk of the brain’s capacity. The remaining 10% is the conscious mind where logical and intelligent processing takes place. Therefore the wok done in hypnotherapy addresses the largest and core part of the brain ie the subconscious and can offer a powerful solution for the client.

Leave a Reply